29 July 2009

O' Barang! (original 24 June)

I am so sorry to have not posted anything on here for so long. Last week I was caught up with the students for 12 or more hours each day. They ended up accomanying me to the market or inviting me over for lunch most days, as well as staying later to use the internet. One night we even just watched some Karaoke videos I purchased at the market after they checked their emails and added a bit to their websites. Four of them have websites now and I hope they can keep up with them while I am away. I will post the links for all of them later, so far the Krung website I added a link for earlier is the most detailed.

Friday I had an interesting trip to Prey Veng beginning with the students attiving at 5:30 in the morning to use the internet before it shut off for the day. The minibus (van) broke down before coming to get me so they had to send the large bus around to pick everyone up and I was last. Somehow they got lost and drove around the lake instead of turning up to Anne's house but luyckily one of the students chased them on his Moto to bring them back! I said farewell to everyone standing around the front gate and sat down next to a Laos women from Veun Sai. She knew enough English that we could talk for a bit and I practiced my Khmer and Krung with her since she knew both! However, I had been up late with the students eating Jackfruit and watching Karaoke or listening to Indigenous Gong music then up early with them again. So, I quickly fell asleep for the bumpy ride towards Kratie. After a quick lunch and parting ways with the Laos women, we headed even further South. Soon enough we arrived at the intersection that I would transfer to Prey Veng at.

So, I departed from the bus and they headed towards Phnom Penh.

Immediately I was surrounded by Moto drivers offering me various prices to Prey Veng. Luckily I knew enough Khmer to refuse and slowly cross the street to find a minibus headed that way. I had a note written in Khmer of my final destination that helped me find a bus to take me part way but, they wanted to put me up top with two Motos because the inside was full of people already. Somehow in the confusion of people trying to secure me as a passenger with them, I ended up in a nearly broken down minibus with two elderly women and a sewing machine.

The two women were related to the driver and none of them spoke any English. Luckily, the note and cell phone (used to call Barb for directions to her house) helped me actually reach my final destination before nightfall. The women and I tried conversing in Khmer a bit but I only know enough for basic introductions and market use, then some random words from my students. They were both originally from Ratanakiri and happy to hear I was teaching up there. They told me how many children they each had and where they lived now, that they didn't have a farm but were seamstresses and their names and ages. I explained my family and background information to them also, and randomly asked what something we were passing by was. Halfway to Prey Veng they became impatient since the sun was setting and got a Moto back to their house.

Then I was alone and free to move about the van taking photos of the rice fields, huts surrounded by water and first sunset colors. He stopped a few times for no apparent reason except to yell "O Barang" (O Foreigner) and something about me to whoever would listen! Afer we reached Prey Veng I called Barb to find her house but the driver either didn't listen at all or didn't know his right vs left! He kept shaking his head at me when I tried directing him the way she told me and would always go the other way! Then he stopped twice to yell about the "Barang" to random people outside while I called Barb again. Finally, we reached her house after I had gone on a circular 'tour' of Prey Veng and been introduced to most of the street vendors!

I will add on about my time in Prey Veng soon but am only on a public computer now and don't have too much time.

take it easy

peace