29 July 2009

has the monsoon season finally stared? (original 1 June)

All these dark clouds are testing my patience

I'm craving deep water to wade in

Harsh droplets to break upon my skin

The red Earth to cover me in a silky layer

Bring on the mighty winds!

That will further encourage electric streaks across the sky

Lighting up the night; as day

Provoking the thunder until it angrily lashes out

Surround me with a cool breeze as I soak in the dyed liquid

Ironically I scribbled this down just before getting trapped in the rain. I could barely stand the heat during a sweltering lunch break from teaching on Friday, as the entire week was dry. I toyed with the idea of shaving my head again just for relief, but ended up taking a "shower" in the middle of the day as well as at night to cool down. However, Friday night on the way to a village in the O Chum district (about half an hour away on Moto) we couldn't beat the inevitable rain storm. As it had already rained there earlier so the mud was slippery, like ice for the Moto tires, and we hit a couple areas where the road was overflowing with water so I had to get off and walk. About fifteen minutes before we reached the village, the rain hit us hard and we had to go even slower through the rushing waters pushing horizontal to our original direction which was into the wind. Up to that point it had simply been thunder and lightening close enough (at times) to make it seem as if it were 8AM not PM! James was surprised that I was not scared of being hit and almost excited with me in watching the bolts dance around us. I told him it was because in the states it is so rare that lightening causes any harm, I have no reason to develop a fear. Also, it is usually seen very far away branching off around the sky but never hitting the earth and lighting up the road. We were soaked upon arrival but thankfully, the Krung family whose house we were staying at quickly found extra clothes for us to change into and Kromas to dry off with. Today there was another rain storm that cut my Internet class short (as having anything plugged in or even laptops being on presents a danger) but allowed for casual conversation time with my students. We played card games and laughed about random nonsensical things while teaching eachother our native languages.