31 March 2011

Routine Contradictions


French artist Marcel Duchamp once said that he forces himself to contradict himself so not to conform to his own taste. He noticed that most artists only repeat themselves yet was interested by the hidden tendencies within the individual, “the man as a man.” This tendency within people to submit in their routines is what brings complications to life; it disguises boredom under the facade of relaxing comfort. Routines remain within safe traditions for individuals to carefully follow. My personal contradictions are the only things which have remained stable throughout life.
Finding a balance between all my past beliefs, experiences, thoughts; who I was before pregnancy and the person I have become. Climbing out of a routine and discovering the woman as a woman who has survived all of these experiences. The woman who can share these experiences with others who may have no connection but possess their own stories of strength and suffering. The woman who can raise a strong, confident and aware daughter in a society overly commercialized by sexual images praising self-absorption. I am beginning to notice all the many differences in this woman and, really, not all of them are dreadfully boring! I am sure that my inevitable contradictions will keep life exciting and not allow for routines to sink in.